Saturday, May 26, 2012

Flipping History Q & A


Since I started flipping my world history class this year, many educators have asked questions about the model and its implementation.  Chase Moore (@moore2cw), a fellow world history teacher interested in the flipped model, recently posed the following questions.  He had recently read my post about the flipped mastery model in our history class (which has since changed a bit, more below).

I thought posting this brief conversation could further the discussion online with others interested in the ways that the flipped model can be applied to the social studies classroom. 

“How do you develop your Standards?”  

After a few units of flipping, I started applying a standards-based-grading approach.  In sum, their grade was not going to be based upon a combination of homework, classwork, and summative assessments.  Instead, I would assess them based on their proficiency of three particular standards over a 2-3 week period (further discussed below). 

I have since changed the terminology to “learning goals,” since this resonates with the students more than “standards.”    I have also started using Connecticut’s Social Studies Framework to choose particular learning goals for each topic.


For example, one learning goal will be from Standard 1: Content Knowledge.  The second, more challenging learning goal is from Standard 2: History / Social Studies Literacy.  The third, and most challenging learning goal, is from Standard 3: Civic Engagement.    I chose learning goals that aligned with the topic we covered in the last unit, which was “conflict in the middle east.” 

Here is a link to the document I provided the students:

Learning Goals



“Do you break your curriculum into Units, then into Standards? Or do you simply break up your class by each standard?”


I break each unit into three topics.  Each topic (ex. Cold War Era) runs for approximately 2-3 weeks.    For each topic, I choose three learning goals (mentioned above).  I am going to revise the curriculum once school is out, but this basic format seems to work for the students. 


“Roughly how long would it take the average student to complete a standard / how long do you give?”

I assign the entire 2-3 week topic at the start, and the students progress through the three learning goals over that time period at their own pace.  If students do not demonstrate proficiency in all three by the end, they can still do so, but on their own time.  The class moves on to the next topic.

“Do you collaborate with colleagues to develop assignments for components 1 - 3 or are you working on this alone?”

I work in a very small school, so I am actually the only World History teacher in the district.  However, next year we will work on department (and interdepartmental) screencasts that focus on skill development.  For example, all department members will create screencasts on evaluating historical significance, detecting bias in a source, etc.  

We are also going to make “guest appearances” in other screencasts.  For instance, I will work with our civicc teacher to create an end of year recap screencast.  As Jon Bergmann (@jonbergmann) and Aaron Sams (@chemicalsams) suggest, conversational screencasts seem more interesting to students.

“Roughly how many different assignment choices do you plan on offering to students for components 2 - 3?”

I usually offer 2 – 3 assignment choices, but they are allowed to develop their own assessments as long as they can clearly demonstrate proficiency in the learning goal.  For instance, one student asked if they could just be interviewed by me during class.  In the end, it was clear to me that the student was proficient, so they simply moved on to the next goal.  I first heard of this approach from Brian Bennett (@bennettscience).

As with all of us, this is a work in progress and continuously evolving.  If you have any thoughts, suggestions, or questions, please do not hesitate to comment below or email at thdriscoll@gmail.com

4 comments:

  1. Tom, really great insight in this post. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. I am definitely going to be stealing some of your ideas as I move forward with my colleagues to develop next years curriculum. We will all be teaching in 1:1 pc labs, which is a big help, but we're really focusing on developing a true flip/blended learning environment for our students in World History. Please keep us updated on your summer as you begin revising what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will do, would love to see what you develop over the summer as well. It will be interesting to see how the 1:1 pc labs work with the flipped class, seems like a natural fit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for providing this information. I'm very interested in flipping my 8th grade US History class and using a form of Standards Based grading. I'm feeling overwhelmed, though. I have 106 standards I'm responsbile for teaching over the course of the year. When I break my content down into units, I have about 25 or so for my first unit on colonization.

    How can I assess students on all of these standards without driving them and myself crazy with the sheer magnitude of it?

    I appreciate any input.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are 25 different standards for one unit? First, I would suggest focusing on those that are of primary importance. A basketball coach once told me that you can't focus on everything, since then it is no longer really a focus at all is it?

    I'm sure many of the standards correlate to each other, so find one's that match up well with your primary/core standards.

    You can then try to design assessments that hit multiple standards. For instance, one research project may assess 3-5 different standards. You can then create a scoring rubric based upon these and provide feedback from there.

    Hope this helps, its a common problem that we are wrestling with so many different sets of standards, GLEs, etc. For example, this year we have to focus on the CT framework for SS (State standards), Common Core Standards, and P21 skills framework. Not easy to navigate through all this so let me know how you make out!

    ReplyDelete