Saturday, November 10, 2012

A Look Inside a Flipped-Mastery Social Studies Class

One of the comments I heard from educators after presenting at least week's Flipped Learning Conference in Hartford was that they understood the concept, but could not picture how it would actually work in their classrooms.  I have had similar questions posed to me in the past via Twitter and in comments on this blog, so I decided to take some video of last Friday's world history class and put together a brief compilation.

Below is a look at a typical day in our flipped-mastery world history course.  There are three basic components of each class:
  • Warmup (warmup activity, debrief/discussion/modeling, progress monitoring, goal setting)
  • Unit Work Session (students work on mastering learning objectives)
  • Reflection (students reflect on their accomplishments for the day)

Take a look and tell me what you think!  Please post any comments or questions below, or contact me directly on Twitter  @Mr_Driscoll or thdriscoll@gmail.com.


4 comments:

  1. Great video!

    Would you mind sharing or pointing us in the direction of the forms you use to monitor students and hold them accountable?

    Is the progress monitoring on the same sheet the warm-up is?

    Can you provide an example of the goal/task sheet?

    Do students submit all work in their folder at the end of the unit, or do you collect it / assess it periodically? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the links in my comment posted a few minutes ago do not work, let me know and I will just create another quick post with active links. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Here is a link to an "objectives grid" that they have each class and use to complete the progress monitoring and goal setting. I also record their grades directly on this sheet once learning tasks are assessed.

    https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0VIwE5hKSWtMHRGQTh3aVJmYkE

    Each day they pick up a "Daily Learning Journal" which includes the warmup, progress monitoring, goal setting, and reflection. These are stored in their class folders. I have them staple them together and hand in about every 3 weeks for a grade. Here is the link to the DLJ.

    https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0VIwE5hKSWtSDMwclVfdmdQYXc

    Most of the learning tasks I will assess on the spot as I circulate the room. If it is a more substantial assignment (such as a research paper) then I will collect and take more time to grade with sufficient feedback.

    Hope this helps! If you have any more questions please just let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great...thanks very much.

    ReplyDelete