Friday, September 20, 2013

Learning on the Commute

I have anywhere from a 45-60 minute commute to work, so the roughly two hours I spend in a car each day wears on me at times. My typical routine included a radio rotation through Boston sports talk (WEEI), NPR (my liberal fix) and local RI political talk radio (my conservative counterweight.)

Last year, I began venturing into the world of podcasts.  I had never really considered listening to podcasts since I thought I never had the time.  When I am at work or at home with my family, this is very much true.  I do, however, have time to listen while I am driving.

Once I made this obvious yet belated observation, I began downloading the Flipped Learning podcasts hosted by Troy Cochrum on EdReach  This year, I have expanded my horizons by listening to two more podcasts, the Google Educast as well as the new Chalkstar to Rockstar hosted by Brian Bennett.

In future posts, I will provide further insight regarding these podcasts and what I have learned from their sagely advice.  For now, I simply wanted to express my gratitude for all of those who helped put these programs together.  They are helping me become a better educator, which is in turn helping scores of students.

For those who are making these, keep up the good work.  For every other educator out there, I highly recommend checking out these resources if at all possible.  If life is as jam-packed for you as it is for me, the only time may be during your commute to and from work.  But that is all you really need to learn from these incredible educators.

More to come on this subject soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment